Electrical Requirements Needed at Your Application
Find out what is delivered with your electric freezer or refrigerated storage container and what requirements are needed on-site before delivery. If you still have questions after reading this page, don’t worry; we’re here to help!
At Portabull, we ensure your site is prepped for uncomplicated delivery, and our sales or operations managers can consult with your electrician to ensure you have the correct electrical setup.
Whether this is your first time renting cold storage or you’ve rented from another company in the past, you’re about to see why Portabull’s service is unmatched.
Your 20ft or 40ft 480V electric reefer unit is delivered with the following:
- 460/480 volt – 3-phase connection (30 to 40-amp breaker) male twist lock plug
- 50ft 10-gauge cord
What if the cord isn’t long enough?
- If an extension is needed, a SO 10-gauge cord can be purchased by the foot at your local hardware store. Most electricians can provide extensions as well.
What kind of connection do I need?
- 20ft and 40ft Portabull electric powered refrigerated containers require a 460/480 volt 3-phase connection with a 30-amp breaker.
- If you do not have 460/480 voltage, Portabull can connect a transformer to the unit before delivery, providing the required 460/480 voltage. After the transformer is added, your electric storage container is delivered and ready to connect to the power source.
Note: If you need a transformer, you must have a 208/240 volt 3-phase connection with a 60-amp breaker.
How do I plug in the unit?
Portabull recommends hiring an electrician, as our delivery drivers do not hook up units. See below for connection options:
- Option 1: Plug Portabull 50ft 10-gauge male cord into female receptacle
- Option 2: Hardwire the cord that comes with the unit into the power box
- If you remove the Portabull plug, Please remember to reinstall it before the electric reefer is returned.
What type of generator is needed if our site does not have access to power?
- You can run one Portabull electric unit with a 15KVA generator. (Two units on 30KVA, three units on 45KVA, etc.)
I have more questions!
- No problem, the Portabull Support Team is here to answer all your questions. Call us at 800-211-7051 or fill out this form and we’ll be in touch within 24 hours.